In Online Teaching: Getting Started, you will learn the high-level structure and objectives for different online mediums including fully online, hybrid, flipped classrooms and non-traditional settings. Additional emphasis will be given to the selection of and navigation through the online platform, including free or low-cost alternatives for student engagement, assessment, and interaction. You will also learn the value of various learning techniques through the utilization of synchronous and asynchronous communications and tools. The course will highlight aspects of planning for regular student activity, determining how you will support students’ needs, ensuring a consistent framework, and following clean and modern web design principles. Finally, consideration will be given to individual time management to prevent technology and teaching burnout.
Topics for discussion will include:
- Online, hybrid, and blended modalities
- Flipped teaching
- Platform choice and free or low-cost alternatives
- Innovative technology
- Effective use of the course management system
- Time Management
- Course design
- (A)Synchronous components
- Describe methods for online educational engagement in different modalities, including the incorporation of free and innovative technologies
- Determine preferences for course development including its design, the incorporation of (a)synchronous components, and time management
February 24 - March 8, 2020
Average length of time to complete this course is between two and three hours , depending upon attendee's level of engagement.
Who Should Attend
This online course is for faculty members interested in teaching courses in online, blended, and/or hybrid settings.
This cohort-based learning experience is delivered via the Brightspace learning platform and includes synchronous and asynchronous activities that apply concepts through content presentation, direct exercises, discussions, and reflections.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Hungry for more? Bundle and SAVE!
The Online Teaching Effectiveness series is a collection of three courses:
- Online Teaching: Getting Started
- Online Teaching: Presence and Engagement
- Online Teaching: Assessment, Feedback and Honesty
The complete series provides attendees a comprehensive framework from which to develop individual courses geared toward teaching in non-traditional modalities. To expose attendees to a range of teaching styles, this option includes the perspectives and strategies from a variety of content creators and subject matter experts.
SAVE when you register for all three courses at the same time!