Teaching With Business Simulation Games
How engaged are your students in your classes? Are they being challenged with real-world exercises and receiving performance feedback in real time? This course is designed to help instructors integrate business simulation games into their teaching efficiently, effectively, and with confidence.
By participating in this course, instructors will become proficient and reflective when teaching with business simulation games, thereby improving student engagement and learning outcomes, as well as increasing their own professional satisfaction.
Who Should Attend
Business school teaching faculty and other learning professionals interested in increasing student engagement and improving learning outcomes using business simulation games.
At the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Evaluate the potential benefits and costs of using business simulation games in their courses
- Identify and evaluate business simulation games
- Plan for the use of business simulation games
- Facilitate a teaching session incorporating the use of business simulation games (brief-play-debrief)
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the use of business simulation games in their course
- Integrate business simulation games in face-to-face, blended or online educational settings
This asynchronous online course consists of three modules:
- Module 1: Planning to use business simulation games
- Module 2: Using business simulation games in teaching
- Module 3: Evaluating effectiveness and integrating business simulation games in your course
Content includes guidelines, frameworks, and shared experiences related to teaching with business simulation games. Each module will include written materials for review, videos, links to relevant resources that will build up to the actual or planned use of participants' business simulation game in a course at their institution.
Complemented with ongoing facilitator feedback to each participant, the program of instruction for this course aims for participants to have a business simulation game identified that suits the learning objectives of their own course and a plan for using the game in class.
Tim Rogmans, Sim InstituteDr. Tim Rogmans is Managing Director of Sim Institute, a company that designs and develops simulation games in sustainability management and other business disciplines. He is the author of three award-winning business simulation games, all distributed by Harvard Business Publishing: Sustainability Management Simulation: Net Zero, Macroeconomics Simulation: Econland, and Business Essentials Simulation: Coffee Shop Inc. He has written extensively on the effective use of simulation games in business education, including for Inspiring Minds, Simulations & Gaming and Teaching Business & Economics. Tim’s previous roles include Associate Professor of Management and Director of Executive Education at Zayed University, senior manager at Atradius Credit Insurance and strategy consultant at Gemini Consulting and LEK Consulting. He holds a bachelor’s degree in Economics from the London School of Economics, an MBA from INSEAD, and a PhD from Nyenrode University.
Resources: AACSB Member Simulation Providers
Contact us at [email protected]